Newport News Circuit Court
7th Judicial Circuit of Virginia
Hon. Gary S. Anderson
Phone: (757) 926-8561
Clerk's Office Hours
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
2500 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607-4307
- Hon. Bryant L. Sugg, Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
- Hon. Timothy S. Fisher, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Gary A. Mills, Presiding Judge
- Hon. C. Peter Tench, Presiding Judge
Terms of Court and General Information
- Criminal term begins, 2nd Monday monthly; Docket call 1:30 p.m.
- Felony cases trial dates initially set in District Court, thereafter at docket call 1:30 p.m. 1st day criminal term.
- Civil term begins, 2nd Mon., Jan., March, July, Sept., & Nov.
- Due to the mandatory Judicial Conference, May Term Day will be on Friday, May 13, 2016. Grand Jury: 9:30 a.m., Courtroom No. 3; Civil Docket Call: 10:00 a.m., Courtroom No. 2; Criminal Docket Call: 1:30 p.m., Courtroom No. 3.
- Civil docket call 10:00 a.m.
- Grand Juries, 1st day of Criminal Term at 9:30 a.m.
- Praecipes must be filed by ten days preceding Civil Term Day.
- Court convenes 10:00 a.m.
- Commissioners in Chancery are not utilized in divorce cases.
- If any Monday is a State holiday, docket call will be the following day.
- Scheduling orders are not mandatory, but pre-trial conferences are.
- Local rules can be found on the Internet at www.nngov.com/circuit-court
- Order to Meet and Confer must be completed and filed with the Court three days prior to each pendente lite hearing. Form Pendente Lite Order must be completed after each pendente lite hearing.