Spotsylvania Circuit Court
15th Judicial Circuit of Virginia
Hon. Christalyn M. Jett
Phone: (540) 507-7600
Fax: (540) 582-2169
Clerk's Office Hours
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
P. O. Box 96
9107 Judicial Center Lane
Spotsylvania, VA 22553-0096
Judge Ellis: 9107 Judicial Center Lane, 2nd Floor, Post Office Box 2627, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-2627
Judge Ellis (phone): 540/507-7624
Judge Ellis (fax): 540/507-4056
Judge Deneke: 9107 Judicial Center Lane, 2nd Floor, Post Office Box 2627, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-2627
Judge Deneke (phone): 540/507-7623
Judge Deneke (fax): 540/582-7973
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closing Number: 540/507-7498, Enter mailbox 3960#
- Hon. Joseph J. Ellis, Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
- Hon. Sarah L. Deneke, Presiding Judge
- Hon. J. Overton Harris
- Hon. Herbert M. Hewitt
- Hon. Patricia Kelly
- Hon. Michael E. Levy
- Hon. Charles S. Sharp
- Hon. Harry T. Taliaferro III
- Hon. Gordon F. Willis
- Hon. Victoria A. B. Willis
Terms of Court and General Information
- Court convenes 9:00 a.m.
- Criminal Term/Grand Jury, 3rd Monday of each month.
- Misdemeanor appeals are heard on the 3rd Friday of each month; 4th Friday, if 3rd Friday is a holiday.
- Probation violation trials are heard on the 4th Tuesday of each month.
- Civil Term, 3rd Monday of Jan., Apr., July and Oct., at 9:00 a.m. Appearance required at Term. Mature cases set by praecipe. Praecipe must be filed ten (10) days prior to Term.
- Civil appeals from District Court are called to be set for trial at 9:00 a.m. on the 2nd Friday of each month. Counsel and the parties must appear.
- Arraignments may be set on any Tuesday but the 3rd Tuesday following the Grand Jury.
- Divorce cases can be submitted on deposition/affidavit. Requests for ore tenus trials in divorce cases are heard on motion and notice on civil term days. (Referral to Alternative Dispute Resolution may be required.)
- Pendente lite motions are heard the 2nd Thursday of each month and are set only through chambers. Pendente lite motions are limited to 30 minutes. Referral to parent education seminars required in all contested custody, visitation or support cases pursuant to Section 20-103.
- Commissioners in chancery are utilized in accordance with Section 8.01-607 and Rule 3:23, in appropriate cases.
- Judicial Settlement Conferences are utilized in civil cases and divorces. Please see the Supreme Court of Virginia's website at http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/scv/home.html for all forms and procedures.
- Motion days are the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month. Motions set at 9:00 a.m. Original motions should be filed with Clerk seven days in advance of hearing; courtesy copies of notice and motion should be sent to chambers. Time estimates should be shown on all notices. Motions exceeding 30 minutes must be scheduled through chambers (540-507-7624).
- If any term/motion day is a holiday, pursuant to Section 2.2-3300, term/motion day will held the following day.