Chesapeake Circuit Court
1st Judicial Circuit of Virginia
Hon. Faye W. Mitchell
Phone: (757) 382-3000
Fax: (757) 382-3034
Fax: Criminal & Civil: (757) 382-3035
Clerk's Office Hours
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
307 Albemarle Drive
Chesapeake, VA 23322-5579
Judges: Suite 400A
Judges' Chambers: 757/382-3050
- Hon. Randall D. Smith, Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
- Hon. Marjorie T. Arrington, Presiding Judge
- Hon. John W. Brown, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Timothy S. Wright, Presiding Judge
Terms of Court and General Information
- Criminal Terms begin, 1st Tuesday of each month, 2:00 p.m. except when election date or a holiday is Term Day, then Term Day will be held on Wednesday after the 1st Tuesday.
- Civil Terms begin, 1st Tuesday of each month, 10:00 a.m., except when election date or a holiday is Term Day, then Term Day will be held on Wednesday after the 1st Tuesday.
- Civil motions are heard each Wednesday (Visit www.cityofchesapeake.net/civilmotions or call 757-382-3074 to schedule a hearing.)
- Grand Juries, 1st day of each term.
- Civil cases are set by praecipe submitted by Thursday preceding Term Day.
- Court convenes 10:00 a.m. for regular criminal & civil trial dockets; 8:30 a.m. for criminal sentencing and probation violation hearings; and 9:30 a.m. for arraignments.
- Juries must be requested in writing 5 days before trial. Waiver of a requested jury must be 2 days before trial or costs assessed.
- Final orders are distributed using regular mail and require self-addressed stamped envelopes.