Spotsylvania Circuit Court
15th Judicial Circuit of Virginia
Hon. Christalyn M. Jett
Phone: (540) 507-7600
Judge Beck: (540) 507-7623
Judge Ellis: (540) 507-7624
Fax: (540) 582-2169
Fax: Judge Beck: (540) 582-7973
Fax: Judge Ellis: (540) 507-4056
Clerk's Office Hours
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
P. O. Box 96
9107 Judicial Center Lane
Spotsylvania, VA 22553-0096
Judge Beck: 9107 Judicial Center Lane, 2nd Floor, Post Office Box 1179, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-1179
Judge Ellis: 9107 Judicial Center Lane, 2nd Floor, Post Office Box 2627, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-2627
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closing Number: 540/507-7498, Enter mailbox 3960#
- Hon. David H. Beck, Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
- Hon. Sarah L. Deneke
- Hon. Joseph J. Ellis
- Hon. J. Overton Harris
- Hon. Charles S. Sharp
- Hon. Harry T. Taliaferro III
- Hon. Gordon F. Willis
Terms of Court and General Information
- Court convenes 9:00 a.m.
- Criminal Term/Grand Jury, 3rd Monday of each month, Courtroom #1.
- Misdemeanor appeals are heard on the 3rd Friday of each month; 4th Friday, if 3rd Friday is a holiday, Courtroom #2
- Probation violation trials are heard on the 4th Tuesday of each month, Courtroom #1.
- Civil Term, 3rd Monday of Jan., Apr., July and Oct., at 9:00 a.m., in Courtroom #3. Appearance required at Term. Mature cases set by praecipe. Praecipe must be filed ten (10) days prior to Term. Mature cases are also set by faxing available dates for trial to the Clerk's office and Judge Beck's chambers. Counsel must appear for pre-trial conference pursuant to Rules 4:13 and 1:19, on all requests of trials of two days or more.
- Civil appeals from Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court are called to be set at 9:00 a.m. for trial on 2nd Thursday of each month, Courtroom #1. Counsel and parties must appear.
- Divorce cases can be submitted on depositions. Requests for ore tenus trials in divorce cases are heard on motion and notice on the 2nd Thursday of each month, Courtroom #1, at 1:30 p.m. Counsel and parties must appear. Referral to Alternative Dispute Resolution may be required.
- Pendente lite motions are heard the 2nd Thursday of each month, Courtroom #1 at 9:00 a.m. Pendente lite motions are limited to 30 minutes. Motions exceeding 30 minutes must be scheduled through Judge Beck's chambers 540-507-7623. Courtesy copies of such motions are to be sent to chambers. Referral to parent education seminars required in all contested custody, visitation or support cases pursuant to Section 20-103.
- Commissioners in chancery are utilized in accordance with Section 8.01-607 and Rule 3:23, in appropriate cases.
- Judicial Settlement Conferences are utilized in civil cases and divorces.
- Motion days, in Courtroom #1. 1st and 3rd Monday of each month. Motions set at 9:00 a.m. and a limited number are set at 2:00 p.m. Original motions should be filed with Clerk seven days in advance of hearing; courtesy copies of notice and motion should be sent to chambers. Motions exceeding 30 minutes must be scheduled through Judge Beck's chambers 540-507-7623. Time estimates should be shown on all notices. Alternative motion dates may be obtained through Judge Beck's chambers. All motions in limine are set by chambers.
- Motions for cases scheduled to be tried before Judge Ellis should be coordinated through Judge Ellis' chambers, 540-570-7624.
- If any term/motion day is a holiday, pursuant to Section 2.2-3300, term/motion day will held the following day.