Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court
There is a juvenile and domestic relations district court in each Virginia city and county. In Virginia, a juvenile is any person under 18 years of age. The juvenile and domestic relations district court hears all matters involving juveniles such as criminal or traffic matters. Juvenile delinquency cases are cases involving a minor under the age of 18 who has been accused of committing an offense that would be considered criminal if committed by an adult. Other juvenile offenses may be referred to as status offenses. Status offenses are those acts that are unlawful only because they are committed by a minor.
In addition, this court handles other matters involving the family such as custody, support and visitation. The court also hears family abuse cases, cases where adults have been accused of child abuse or neglect, and criminal cases where the defendant and alleged victim are family or household members.
- All District Courts
- Individual Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts Homepages
- Map of Virginia's Judicial Circuits and Districts
- Court-Appointed Counsel Procedures & Guidelines Manual
- Court-Appointed Counsel Eligibility
- District Court Forms Manual
- District Court Judges’ Benchbook
- Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court Manual
- Assistance with Protective Orders (I-CAN!)
- Court Improvement Program
- Drug Treatment Courts
- Foreign Language Services
- Guardians Ad Litem
- Parent Education
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Provides basic information about the requirements of the ADA as they pertain to Virginia’s Judicial System, including how to request an accommodation.
- American Bar Association (ABA) Center on Children and the Law
- Code of Virginia
- Commonwealth of Virginia Agency Websites
- Comprehensive Services Act for At-Risk Youth and Families (CSA)
- Court-Appointed Special Advocate Program (CASA)
- Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ)
- Department of Social Services (DSS)
- Indigent Defense Commission
- Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts Informational Pamphlet
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Note: Part 8 of the Rules specifically addresses proceedings in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts; however, additional sections of the Rules may also apply.
- Virginia Courthouse Facility Guidelines