Concluded: Commission on Mental Health Law Reform
The Commission on Mental Health Law Reform was
appointed by Chief Justice Leroy Rountree Hassell, Sr., of the Supreme
Court of Virginia, in October, 2006. The Commission was directed to
conduct a comprehensive examination of Virginia's mental health laws
and services and to study ways to use the law more effectively to serve
the needs of people with mental illness, while respecting the interests
of their families and communities.
Goals of reform included reducing the need for commitment by improving access to mental health, mental retardation and substance abuse services, reducing criminalization of people with mental illness, making the process of involuntary treatment more fair and effective, enabling consumers of mental health services to have more choice over the services they receive, and helping young people with mental health problems and their families before these problems spiraled out of control.
The Commission issued a preliminary report in December, 2007 which outlined a blueprint for reform and identified specific priorities for consideration by the 2008 Session of the General Assembly. The Commission issued progress reports in 2008, and 2009. A final report was not issued. The work of the Commission on Mental Health Law Reform concluded in 2011.
- Commission Goals
- Commission Members
- Fact Sheet on Commission
- Members of the Commission's Task Forces and Working Groups
- Opening Remarks by Professor Bonnie at Commission Meetings in October, 2006 and June, 2007
- Presentation by Professor Bonnie to Virginia Tech Review Panel, July 18, 2007
Commission on Health Care
Joint Resolution 42 (2008)
Directs the Joint Commission on Health Care to receive, review, and evaluate the impact of certain recommendations and legislation on the mental health system in the Commonwealth.
Document 3 (2010)
Final Report: Impact of Recent Legislation on Virginia’s Mental Health System [SJR 42 (2008)]
Document 3 (2009)
Interim Report: Impact of Recent Legislation on Virginia's Mental Health System [SJR 42 (2008)]
- Senate Joint Resolution 42 (2008)
- Progress Reports
- Progress Report of the Commission (2009)
- Progress Report of the Commission (2008)
- Preliminary Report of the Commission (2007)
- Reports to the Joint Commission on Health Care (JCHC) Pursuant to SJR 42 (2008)
- Reports of the Commission's Task Forces and Working Groups
- Research Reports